With a wealth of experience in the child care industry, Nicola plays a key role in supporting students undertaking their practical placements, as Practical Placement Co-ordinator. With her knowledge and life experience, we thought that Nicola would have some great sharing to do…
1. Here’s the icebreaker! What are Five Fun Facts we should know about you?
Fact 1: My nickname around campus is “Hagrid”.
Fact 2: I spent 10 years working in the motorcycle disc brake industry.
Fact 3: I have four children and 1 grand-baby.
Fact 4: Before coming to Sage, I juggled six part-time jobs.
Fact 5: I have a miniature Labradoodle called Cuddles, but probably should be called “Jaws”!
2. How long have you been working with Sage?
Approximately two years.
3. What is your “pre-Sage” background?
I have worked in children’s services since 1987. Yikes!
4. What do you like most about your role?
It’s ever changing and you get to meet new people and experience different places every day.
5. What do you do in a week at Sage?
Visit students on placement, data entry, student counselling, support students in class, meet new classes, support the other team members and allocate assessors.
6. Who is in your team?
Sixteen assessors across three states.
7. What do you think are the best parts of working with children?
They always make you smile! Watching them grow and have fun, learn new skills and accumulate knowledge.
8. What advice would you give to graduates looking for their first real job in child care?
Remember your reputation follows you and make sure you enjoy yourself.
9. Tell us about an experience you have had with a Sage student that really had an impact on you…
We had a student who had her baby early, but was soon back in class. She showed amazing dedication and passion for the course by caring for her new baby while also continuing to attend her classes.
10. Tell us what your top 3 Instagram accounts are and why?
I don’t do Instagram – but my children want me to!
Sage Institute of Child Care – it’s more than a job, it’s a rewarding career.
Latest posts by Vicki Tuchtan (see all)
- VET FEE-HELP – important information for current students - December 21, 2016
- Sleep deprivation: how to survive when children won’t sleep - December 20, 2016
- Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis) in Children & Babies: The Essential Guide - December 19, 2016